Twitter Updates

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Wyoming book review

I have slightly different hours than my friends do: I am up at 5:30a every day to be at work by 6:30a. With traffic I often don't get home until 5:30p-6p at night. Granted I do get some half days off and even some full days off during the week, so I can't say that I literally work these hours every day M-F. But in general it's safe to say I'm an early riser.

My friends are NOT. Eforce works 2nd shift throughout the school year, suffering with day hours only June-August. RR is naturally a night hour and when given the choice, would rather start mid-late morning.

So whenever we travel, I am always careful to bring along a book so I'm not bored as I wait for everyone to get moving. No, they're not lazy... we do a TON, but it typically happens in the afternoon and evenings.

Here's what I brought and read in Wyoming this year. My reviews are short:

"Let's Not Go to the Dogs Tonight": I was not super impressed by this one. I read a few books involving African history during our trips last year, and they were much better. I think my problem was this was more of a story and I wanted more of a history lesson.

"To The Top": Very interesting book about two guys who climbed to the highest point in each state. Gave me a new goal to add to my to-do list.

Cider House Rules:
I really like John Irving and he again didn't disappoint me.

Into Thin Air:
Loved it. It's a pretty easy read and a good story. The first book in a long time that kept me up into the wee hours of the night reading, not wanting to stop. I went to the library last week and picked up about 6 more books about Mt. Everest.

Them: I am not impressed. I'm about 130 pages into it mainly because it was the last book I had and the trip wasn't yet over. I renewed it from the library, but I don't think I'm going to finish it.

4 comments:

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Have you read "A Prayer For Owen Meaney"?
Another great John Irving book.

Diane said...

"A Prayer for Owen Meany" is my favorite book of all-time of any author! I get goose bumps just thinking about it; hundreds of pages of narrative all culminating in the last few pages.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

It's on the top of my list as well! I love when Owen speaks it's in all capital letters. Best book I ever read.
Last year while in Leadville I read A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner. Also good reads. Challenging but good.
The third one I read was The Road. Very interesting style of writing but also a little graphic at times.

Diane said...

I had "Kite Runner" on audio book and I listened to it while running in March. Read "Thousand Splendid Suns" afterwards. I agree with your review of them. I bought "The Road", started it, and never could get into it. Might have to try again sometime.