Twitter Updates

Saturday, July 26, 2008

"To The Top"

I think I'm going to add "Climb to the highest point in all 50 states" to my to-do list.

I've already done MN: Eagle Mountain in October 2002 with RR. And on our way home from Wyoming we went to SD's High Point: Harney Peak (elevation 7242ft). It's just southwest of Mount Rushmore.

Here's a picture of the little castle thing at the top of the peak (I told you I took more pictures in Wyoming than just the car trunk).


It's about a 6 mile hike to the top and it was a beautiful day. Harney Peak is in Custer State Park. What I saw of it was nice, but we literally drove in, parked, hiked, drove out, so I'm certainly not the expert.

6 comments:

SteveQ said...

I thought about joining the high-pointers, but Denali is scary. Florida's high point is in a parking lot! (24 ft)

Diane said...

Denali would be scary. Gannett Peak in Wyoming is the only one the two guys were NOT able to summit. Granite Peak in MT requires some technical climbing skills, too. I'd like to try both of those. Maybe in 2009? Who knows. I have too many things I want to do and not enough time/money.

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

Other than the altitude Denali would be easier than Granite. All snow, all the way up.

Diane said...

I wonder how I'd do at increasing altitudes. I've been to 13,175' with essentially no problems other than a little harder time catching my breath.

Diane said...

The scary thing is that people really do DIE climbing Denali (and others, of course).

GRIMEYRUNNER said...

You never know with altitude. One day you'll handle it just fine, another it'll be miserable. People die in the mountains all the time...lightning strikes, hypothermia, pulmonary edema you know the causes. Calculated risk.
Usually.