Twitter Updates

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

New shoes

I got a pair of Inov-8 Roclite 318's. I have a pair of 315's that I've used a lot--well, relatively speaking: I did the 100m + 3 (50K) = you do the math. (about 191, since Trail Mix was a "short" 50K). It's very easy to keep track of shoe mileage when you only use the shoes for races.

These shoes (the 315's) were very comfortable from the moment I put them on. I bought them the week before I left for Wyoming over Labor Day, about 2 weeks before Superior. I considered wearing them in the Cloud Peak Wilderness, but ultimately decided I should wear my Vasque hiking boots that are heavier with more ankle support.

I've rethought that. Why on earth should I wear heavier shoes while climbing/hiking on average 8-15 miles per day at altitude? The rocky terrain isn't THAT much more rocky than Superior, and my shoes did my feet fine for that (relatively speaking). I have good ankles that are not prone to rolling and my feet aren't that fussy.

This year backpacking/hiking/climbing in Wyoming (Darton Peak and Franc's Peak, most likely, as well as day hikes in the Bighorns and Absorkas) I am going to try to go lightweight. The 318's, from what my patience for research as been able to figure, are essentially the 315's + Goretex.

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

Wish my ankles didn't roll and my feet weren't fussy! I think you're giving me some sort of complex...

Diane said...

Not trying to give you a complex!

I also qualified for Boston wearing shoes I'd purchased the night before at the expo...